Coder is deployed on Kubernetes and includes the following components:
- Manager: the central authority; provides authentication and supports the
Dashboard and an API which you can use to create and interact with
- Envproxy: the WebSocket proxy to an environment's editor and terminal
- PostgreSQL: data storage for session tokens, environment information, etc.
Each component runs in its own Kubernetes pod.
Kubernetes NGINX Ingress
Coder deploys an NGINX Kubernetes ingress controller to allocate and route
requests to the appropriate service. You can disable this controller in the helm
chart if you use your ingress or gateway.
There are two ways to deploy Coder:
- The default installation, which is a non-air-gapped option, using the
Kubernetes provider of your choice; you should be able to access Coder
resources from this environment freely
- A secured, air-gapped option; you can choose to limit access and deploy Coder
by first pulling in all of the required resources, or you can choose to
whitelist the URLs/IP addresses needed to access Coder resources
Coder cannot be deployed in an air-gapped environment when using the free
license tier. If you need to deploy an air-gapped Coder instance please
contact our sales department to see about purchasing